To Ellen


This blog is made to the honor of my grandmother Ellen Elisabeth Thomsen who was a modern woman .
She was born in Randers in Denmark 1895 and died in Copenhagen 1976.
She had long salmon red hair down to her hips. It was braided and put up with lots of hairpins to make it look short.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Red haired boys

                             There are of cause more pictures of red haired girls, but I found some boys too.

Bela Onodi
                                                                  Portrait of Gypsy boy




William Merritt Chase





De Predis




Early Dutch Portrait





Arthur Hughes





Gustave Caillebotte

                                                                Portrait of Camille Daurelle





Michael John Angel



Hugo Simberg




Victor Gabriel Gilbert






August Fornasier

Philipp Otto Runge

Unusual picture in German Romanticism. When I studied in Copenhagen I was still young and very emotional and very drawn to Romantic Art. I and 2 fellow students admired Delacroix and  German Romantics like Runge, Füssli, Friedrich and Carl Rothman. In 1981 after I moved to Sweden and started the Academy my parents gave me a book I had longed for " Philipp Otto Runge oder die geburt einer Neuen Kunst"
Look at description of the picture above on http://www.german.leeds.ac.uk/RWI/2001_02project2/RP3.htm
Runge made several portraits of red haired children.

No comments:

Post a Comment